Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Feisty Fawn

So I just upgraded to Feisty Fawn herd 4 on my laptop. There are a lot of small changes. Most people seem to be concentrating on the new layout of the control panel. I haven't messed with it much yet, but it looks clean and easy to use. KDE has a pretty similar kind of set up and as has been pointed out it definitely bears are resemblance to Windows XP.

While this change is monumental, I'd like to concentrate on a few other things. Firstly, I've noticed that 7.04 is booting a lot faster than 6.10 was. This is great for me because I use my laptop to take notes in class and I tend to arrive in class with little time to spare.

The wireless network manager has been seriously beefed up. Previously it was a real pain to deal with and I ended up using Wifi radar to deal with different wireless networks. The new manager is a lot smarter. For one thing it will automatically switch between eth0 and eth1.

Lastly, there is a new program called Tomboy. This program is really neat and it is something I have been wanting for a little while now. It is a note taking program that allows you to search your notes, create links and do all sorts of other neat little things.





As you can see I'm using it to stay organized for my school research. It is easy to use, and provides a great deal of organizational power to the user. It isn't the prettiest program in the world, but I don't need eye candy in my note cards

No comments: